Sunday, July 12, 2009

OM - Day 42

I've been feeling much better lately. Still a bit sick, but better and better day by day. I still need to eat and drink more, but I'm working on that. My fever is going away and I can feel the strength returning to my body. Hopefully I'll be ready to work a little Monday and Tuesday, because there's still a lot that needs to be done to get OM Uruguay on their feet...

<NERD>
Technical update:

The goal for OM Uruguay is 4-fold:


  1. Clean up their computers and perform regular maintenance on them
  2. Upgrade their Petra and Workgroup server to a new machine, including a new hard drive (this is a big hassle!)
  3. Upgrade their Smoothwall by installing it on the old server...I'm not sure what will become of the old Smoothwall machine
  4. Convert everyone's OM Uruguay email accounts to Exchange

Number 1 takes lowest priority, mostly because I need people's passwords, and I don't have them (this is a problem). Number 3 is finished...Smoothwall works, as long as no one goes messing with it or the wireless router. Number 4 again requires people's passwords, but it's the highest priority. I've already converted three accounts, but I don't know how many others because I still haven't received a list yet! I need to bug Hazahel more.

But by far the biggest problem is with moving their server to a new machine. We have tried cloning the hard disk and installing from scratch, but everything we have tried has some sort of problems with it. It also doesn't help that I don't have full access to the OM internal documentation, so I sortof have to guess on some things. (Although I think that was more of a problem with Smoothwall...I might have full access to the server docs.)
</NERD>

I also want to get Alejandro's office completely cleaned up. Richard and I sort of took it over, and it's quite a mess now. So I want to at least get all the computers and cables organized so it at least looks presentable. The plan is to move the Smoothwall and server machines from Alejandro's office to another building, but I don't think Richard has got the wiring done for that. Hopefully I'll be able to work on organizing and cleaning today so that tomorrow I can be prepared to work on the server.

Thank you everyone for your prayers! They are greatly appreciated. I can definitely tell that God had a purpose for my sickness, which is unusual because I often don't see reasons for things for weeks or months or years, but I am confident that he allowed me to get sick for some very specific purposes. I trust that he will continue to provide for me and to protect me.

No comments: