Monday, June 1, 2009

OM - Day 1

June 1 seems to be quite the day in my life. Three years ago, it marked the end of hated high school and the single worst day of my life. Last year, June 1 fell on a Sunday, and a talk I had with Paston Darren was both rejuvenating and helpful. Today, June 1 marks not the end, but the beginning of an incredible summer that is both nerve-wracking and exciting at the same time. When God seemed so distant three years ago, I know He is here with me now, even though I feel alone in a big city with no idea what I'm getting myself into. I have no idea if I'm prepared enough for what I'm going to encounter this summer, but I know He will protect me. He has to, because there's so much to live for that I know He wants me to do.

The greatest blessing God has given me today besides Jessica is the wonderful fellowship with Taylor alumni here in Atlanta. After being picked up from the airport and dropping my stuff off in my room, I was starting to get overwhelmed. Rich, a guy I will be working with, took me to his house for dinner, and two couples from their small group joined us. All four of them are Taylor grads, and I had met one before when I interview for Chick-Fil-A in Atlanta last year. Reminiscing with them was so relaxing and wonderful. Even though I didn't really know them that well, there was so much familiarity between us that I felt like they were already close friends. Both husbands work at Chick-Fil-A and were computer science majors at Taylor. Everyone was really disappointed when I told them Gerig doesn't have the eggnog drinking contest anymore...

One last thing before I stop for today: I got to drink the most amazing tea today called Mate (mah-tay). It is a green tea and by far the strongest tea I've ever had, but it was amazing! Apparently, it's got a good bit of caffeine and it's supposed to be really good for you. Most teas I've had are not nearly flavorful enough to rope me in, but I wouldn't mind drinking a cup of this every day. We shall see.

2 comments:

David Colgan said...

Go mate! I had that stuff in 11th grade Spanish class.

Anonymous said...

I've never actually read a blog before. I'm so old. Have a great summer. Kristy (your cousin)