Saturday, November 15, 2008

Communication Adventures Day

I would have written a post yesterday had it not been the third annual Communications Adventures Day! (It's just coincidence that the acronym is ironically CAD) CAD is is a day for computer science majors or other anti-social geeks to avoid talking about or using computers/math/science/video games for the entire day. Some activities of the day included:


  • Playing frisbee
  • Coloring with crayons
  • Watching My Dinner With Andre, one of the best screenplays ever
  • Playing Chutes and Ladders in reverse
  • Putting ~5% of a 1000 piece puzzle together before giving up
  • Counting my pennies
  • Wondering if I had any important emails I was missing out on
  • Having interesting conversations about injuries, Dr. Heth, female role models, caterpillars, and the ubiquitous YOUR FEELINGS


Whenever someone asked me how I was feeling, I never knew how to respond. This happened at least 5-10 times. What should I say? Since the only reason they're asking is because it's CAD and not because they really care, I could just respond with the oft-used "Fine. You?" response. Or I could start making things up; that could be very interesting but would be rather untruthful. Or I could respond with an honest response, but unfortunately that requires actually knowing how I'm feeling. When something really good or really bad happens, I suppose I know that I'm feeling happy, sad, tired, excited, pensive, pissed, worried, disappointed, satisfied, etc. (All of which happened yesterday at some point or another.) But a lot of the time I don't know how I feel. Is this something I'm supposed to know and constantly think about? Can't I just exist and that be good enough for everyone? Perhaps there's some other question we could be asking each other that's slightly more thought-provoking? Just a suggestion...

No comments: