Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Class Redundancy Considered Harmful

I'm starting to get sick of learning the same thing over and over again. I feel like the first week and a half of all my classes (except maybe one) where I am supposed to learn something has been nothing but a waste. Last week I got an introduction to Perl regex in a 300 level course, and yesterday marked the 4th time I have officially "learned" about finite state machines.These are the things that should be taught in a freshman level intro to computer science course. Come on profs, we already know all this stuff! Not that it isn't useful, but teach us something we don't already know!

And to make matters worse, professors at Christian colleges like to require attendance, as if class time was actually used for learning...


No comments: