Friday, October 16, 2009

Is Skillet Losing Their Fire?

It seems to me that Skillet is becoming more disappointing as they become more mainstream. My biggest complaints about Awake are reflected in a recent interview with the Roanoke Times.

John Cooper said:

"I will definitely say the lines between Christian music fans and mainstream music fans are very blurred these days, much more blurred than they were 10 years ago, or even five years ago. Gratefully, we can thank P.O.D. and Switchfoot and Jars of Clay and bands like that, for ... helping blur those lines."

[Speaking of Hero] "I think most everybody in our world today would hear a song like that and say, 'Yeah, me too. I need a hero. This is crazy. I feel like I'm losing my faith sometimes.' And it doesn't have to necessarily mean faith in God. It could mean faith in life, faith in the world, whatever."

What rubbed me wrong the most was when he was talking about the recent success they have seen with Awake...

"At the moment, there is a lot going on, and it just really feels like, well, all the stars are aligning."

Seriously? The stars are aligning? What's going on, John? Are we now a band who ascribes to astrology instead of God to explain our success? Now, I fully realize that no one in Skillet as far as I know really believes in astrology or anything like that, but offhand comments like this make me wonder where they are headed with their faith. What happened to the Skillet who was "exploding like chemicals" over God? Instead of screaming for a Savior, we are now looking for a generic Hero to embolden our faith in God...or "faith in life, faith in the world, whatever." It's about reaching out to the mainstream audience instead of reaching out to God. This saddens me greatly.

I'll stick with Skillet at least until their next album, but they are going to have to get their act together if they don't want to lose me. It may be time for me to move on, or at least listen to classic Skillet from now on. We'll see.

No comments: